Auto Insurance Information
What is auto insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy. An auto insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you're financing a car, your lender may also have requirements. Most auto policies are for six months or a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it's time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.
Auto insurance provides property, liability and medical coverage:
- Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
Commonly called comprehensive and collision coverage, physical damage to your vehicle applies when YOUR car is damaged in an accident, hail storm, you hit an animal or is stolen. Comprehensive and Collision coverage comes with a deductible you choose. To learn more about Physical Damage coverages, click here.
- Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
For example, if you are in an accident and the other party is hurt, the personal automobile policy is designed to pay for injuries to people in the other vehicle.
- Medical coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
Questions to ask your agent
Your Independent Agent is an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)
Comprehensive and Collision Coverage that pays for your car damaged in an accident comes with a deductible of your choice. We offer low deductibles starting at $100 (the amount you pay to have your car repaired and range into the $1,000s. Keep in mind, if you pick a higher deductible, like $1,000, there is a significant premium discount.
- What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
As an independent insurance agency, we work with many different insurance companies to provide the best product and price. Each of the insurance companies we work with are rated with a high financial stability and our preferred markets have the highest level of customer service in the industry.
- What discounts are available?
We offer Mulit-Car, Multi-Policy, Good Student, Safe Driver, Paperless, Advanced Quote, Higher Education, and Professional Career Discounts.
What are my state's required minimum coverage for car insurance?
Illinois - $25,000 for injury or death of one person in an accident, $50,000 for injury or death of more than one person and $20,000 for damage to the property of another person.
Missouri - Like Illinois Missouri required $25,000 for one person, $50,000 for multiple people but on $10,000 for property damage.
Wisconsin and Kentucky - Wisconsin and Kentucky require the same as what we see for Missouri - $25,000 per person, $50,000 for multiple people and $10,000 for property.
Tennessee - Tennessee is only slightly different than Wisconsin and Kentucky - you are required to carry at least $25,000 for a single person, $50,000 for multiple people and $15,000 for property damage, per accident.
While you can legally carry just your state's minimum required coverage, think of all the technology that are found in modern cars as well as people's tendency to take legal action after an accident. We will help you find the coverage you need at prices to fit your budget.
Why do you need auto insurance?
It's really all about protecting yourself financially.
- If you're in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, many states require you to have at least some coverage.
Thank you for your interest in M & M Insurance Agency, Inc.. We work with multiple A+ rated carriers to bring you the best insurance coverage to fit your needs and budget. Please feel free to call our office at 618-542-4831 or email us any questions and an insurance agent will reply promptly.
Auto Insurance Quote Forms
Looking for coverage? Click any of the following links to submit a quote for quick, accurate and affordable rates.
Auto Insurance Customer Service Options
Self policy service any time of the day, directly from our website. To request a policy change on your account, click any of the following policy service options below.